Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pink cakes and a busy week

This week has been awesomely busy for orders. I love when I can create so many cakes/ cupcakes in a week. And too boot, two pink cakes. I never thought I would have so much fun making pink cakes, but I did.

Our first order was for a sweet little girl`s first birthday. Her mom contacted me asking for the 1st birthday special. She wanted a pretty, girly cake. As soon as she said that, I knew exactly what cake to create, the ruffle cake, in pink and to complete the girly part, lets top it with a tiara. It turned out so well. I fell in love with the cake. The lil` cupcake may be getting this cake for her 2nd birthday.

I think the cake turned out lovely. The cake itself was a Chocolate cake filled with a yumy strawberry preserve and iced with fuffly ruffles of pink buttercream. I initially started out with strawberry buttercream, but with the humidity the icing wouldn`t stick. Boo-urns. And I dislike using artificial flavours so to the pink tinted buttcream I went.

The second cake, I did this week. Bahhh, I forgot to take a picture. Not very smart, but I am told that the birthday girl will send photos, when she does I will put them up and add them to the blog.

Birthday girl A, contacted me on Monday asking if I was able to do a cake for her. Turns out she had another baker lined up and due to some unforeseen circumstance was no longer able to create A`s 23rd birthday cake. I couldn`t say no, and after the brief consultation, Toot Sweet Cupcakes was making the cake. A Red Velvet two tiered pink and black creation. But we added a twist to the cakes. On the bottom layer, I stipped some of the cake down and added a chocolate cake filling. What is a Chocolate cake filling you ask. A chocolate cake filling was sandwiched between two red velvet cakes and buttercream. I also added a cream cheese filling to the top red velvet tier. Cake was covered in tinted vanilla buttercream to add a polished finished.

Just before pick-up, I returned home from work to see all the fondant bows topping the cake, destroyed. Apparently the heat of the day made the bows crack, fall and break. OMG, I was devastated. I couldn`t send this cake to A, after what she endured, and on her birthday. So I improvised. Earlier that week, I was at the farmers market and came across a vendor selling pretty little flower clips for little girls. I saw the pretty black and pink with a crystal in the middle and figured one day that would be the inspiration for a cake, and wrap the cake in a fondant ribbon with the fondant flower on top. Well, due to time constraint, my newly acquired flower and a black ribbon I had became the topper of the cake. I wrapped the ribbon around the cake like a present and secured the ribbon with the flower. It actually turned out really pretty as well. So there you have it, disaster averted and A had a happy birthday with a pretty cake.

A texted me that evening thanking and left a message on my facebook wall saying that the red velvet recieved rave reviews and that the cake was adored. I was tickled pink. I love hearing reviews of cakes I make, and even best seeing little ones smash the cakes I make them.

As for the third cake, little man E gets a whole post to himself.

1 comment: